(urth) Baldanders' dream

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Fri Aug 22 03:59:20 PDT 2014

On 21/08/2014 17:20, Lee wrote:
>> Gerry Quinn: Echidna is, but the Cumaean isn't, so it hardly ties the two
>> characters.  Snakes and caves do not an Echidna make.
> I find them to be sufficiently linked. It is to be remembered that the Cumaean
> is the leader of the Witches in BotNS. There is a constellation of traits
> including snakes, witchcraft and caves which link such Greco-Roman female
> mythological characters as Echidna, Lamia, Hecate, the Pythian Oracle and the
> Cumaean Sibyl.

Note the plural in "characters".  It seems to bear out what I said;
snakes and caves do not uniquely identify a character.

>> Besides, she's not necessarily a snake:
>
> "Snake-like" or "snake-associated" would be more accurate descriptors. Mythological
>   Echidna was not a "snake" but she had snakey attributes.
>

>> She shares no obvious personality characteristics with Echidna.
>
> I'm not sure what "personality characteristics" you might be referring to. But,
> Echidna, in Long Sun, clearly has snakey attributes and was quite notably involved
> in an incident of human sacrifice.
>
> The Cumaean also has snakey attributes and is associated with human sacrifice.
> (Hopefully the connection between human sacrifice and Apu Punchau doesn't need
> to be explained; The Cumaean's "séance" is not quite what it seems).
Frankly, it does have to be explained - it is certainly not a direct
link.  In any case, human sacrifice was not unique to a single god in
Long Sun.

As for personality characteristics, I mean things like the Cumaean's
interest in witchcraft and archeology, and Echidna's rather prudish
interest in the virginity of the priesthood, and her killing of Pas to
preserve her rule over the Whorl.  They don't seem at all like the same
person.

> Typhon and Scylla from Long Sun are mentioned in BotNS (and Short Sun). Echidna
> is not mentioned in BotNS by name, but given the combination of cave-dwelling, snake
> association, witchcraft and human sacrifice, I think Wolfe has given us enough
> clues to find her in BotNS. Just my opinion, of course.

It would take a lot more in the way of 'clues' to convince me that two
seemingly unrelated characters, who never appear in the same series of
books, are one and the same.

And as so often, I find myself asking: Why?  What purpose of Wolfe's
would it serve to make them the same anyway?  Even if you identify them,
where's the moment you say "ah, that's why the Cumaean did X, in order
to fulfil Project Y of Echidna's?"

- Gerry Quinn