(urth) Death and Resurrection: Shadow of the Torturer Chapter I

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Aug 11 04:32:28 PDT 2014

On 11/08/2014 09:29, marcobadie at katamail.com wrote:

> Catherine, Severian's mother, is the most obscure character of The
> Book of the New Sun.
> Please, note the simmetry (and the opposition):
> Severian (some iteration of Severian) is lifted, risen up
> (resurrected) from water by Juturna, (the Undine (a water being).
> The white gown's woman buried in the necropolis (some iteration of
> Severian's mother, I think) is lifted, risen up (resurrected) from
> earth by Hildegrin (the Badger, an earth being).
>
> Juturna is searching for Severian from the future.
> Hildegrin is searching for Severian (or for a link to Severian) in the
> past.

Yes, these seem a good fit.  Hildegrin is killed at the end of _Claw_
when Apu Punchau is temporarily resurrected.  And of course the future
of Urth Is rather watery, though Juturna's people are already here.  (If
the New Sun is fire, we now need only air!)

Certainly resurrection is a major theme, and I would not doubt there are
symbolic echoes of it to be found in many places that could tie in to
Past and Future Severians.

- Gerry Quinn