(urth) FW: May 2014 Wolfe interview in _Technology Review_

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Aug 10 08:33:16 PDT 2014

Things can look different from the other side: Marc's post said:

 > I accept several principals at face value from the narrator as
general guidelines:
 > 1)That an extraordinary event actually could be forgotten, so that he
can’t be
 > trusted to reliably remember it. If he could remember it, then the
premise of
 > the story is invalid. If we do not accept this premise, the analysis
can stop right
 > here – the extraordinary event in his life is that he never met
Suzanne Delage.

Doesn't that, from my perspective, look like "nothing to see here"?

As for Lee's "scenario 1" he stated that it was in the text on an equal
level with "scenario 2", and I asked him where.  In fact the scenario of
two independent abo races, whether it's right or wrong or may be
inferred, is not present in any kind of equivalent form. The Old Wise
One forgets which race he is, but there is not a second independent
series of events described.

My main issue, as ever, is with the frenetic chasing of
'inconsistencies' (which need not actually be inconsistent) to the
extent that the 'consistencies' are ignored.

Is there actually ANY story by Wolfe which can generally be agreed to
take the form of a cryptic puzzle to be unlocked by way of extrapolating
from symbolism we may associate (but which is never stated clearly) with
cccasional words used by a preternaturally unreliable narrator, to the
extend that his descriptions of actual events in the text are to be
ignored?  _Soldier_ and _Peace_ may come the closest, but I don't think
they fit the picture either. Alden Weir does not like to think clearly
about certain events - but we do not have to infer them wholesale from
random words he uses.

Rather, the narrator tells us what happened and we then interpret them
in certain ways.  He leaves things out, but does not invent an unrelated
build-up.  Wolfe does in fact tell us stuff, and it's hardly ever
outright lies.  That No. 5 is a clone may be inferred by the cleverest
in advance, but it is confirmed to us in so many words by the end of the
tale.  'A Story' tells us the tale of how the humanoid abos came to be,
and why the planets were not found for so long despite much nearby space
travel.  'VRT' tells us the story of an abo who - unlike his mother -
does in fact take a rare opportunity to steal the identity of a human.
There's a whole lot to see here.  I don't get why people are chasing
'symbolic clues' that erase the text and lead at best to a storyline
that would not be intrinsically more interesting even if it had been the
one written down.

- Gerry Quinn