(urth) FW: May 2014 Wolfe interview in _Technology Review_

Jeffery Wilson clueland.com jwilson at clueland.com
Sat Aug 9 08:50:08 PDT 2014

On 8/8/2014 8:47 AM, Lee wrote:
>> Gerry Quinn: I would say, rather, that I read the writing with care, and do not
>
>> tend to construct elaborate scenarios based on words found here and there.
>

> This is another way of saying you cannot conceive of the existence, purpose or value
>
> of a piece of literature in which 95% of what we are presented are lies and only an
>
> indirect 5% can be construed as truth.
>

> Fair enough. Perhaps you have never encountered a person who manages to delude
>
> themselves about themselves and the world so thoroughly that much of what they
>
> say has no real ring of truth to it.

I have, but I wouldn't call their narratives literature and can barely
scruple to call them stories; word salad, maybe.

> I understand it. I not sure I can explain it to someone who doesn't find any appeal
>
> in finding one's way through a web of lies and deceit. But I get it. I suspect many
>
> other Wolfe fans do also.

Dude, if you want to tell people authoritatively what a story means, it
would simpler, easier, more credible, and less insulting if you wrote
your own rather than asserting those already published are only 5% in
earnest.

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab