(urth) Short Story 82: The God and His Man

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 05:21:56 PDT 2014

I always wonder at how much is direct reference and how much is zeitgeist.
Wolfe almost never mentions Dick as an influence, and once, because of the
religious forces at work in Dune, said Dune had little to no impact on his
writing. I have read a fair amount of Dick (my favorite is Flow My Tears
the Policeman Said because of the lonely woman's take on pets, if I
remember right, and Ubik was pretty good) but not galactic pot healer.

And to be honest part of the reason I never read it is probably a reaction
to the title - I am trying to imagine 60 year old Wolfe reading a book with
"galactic pot healer" on the cover.