(urth) 5HC

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Aug 31 08:52:11 PDT 2014

On 31/08/2014 05:17, Richard Simon wrote:

> The SC retain, dreamlike, fragments of human culture they absorbed
> from the settlers of the first wave. Thus they can speak of
> starcrossers and the legend of Atlantis, things Sandwalker's people
> (the original humans, whose original culture and technology have
> perished, and who live like -- what's the word Wolfe uses? --
> dendritic hunter-gatherers on Ste. Anne, have long forgotten.
>
> It is the Shadow Children who have their brains in their thoraxes.

But then who is Victor?  He is apparently not a Shadow Child, and he
imitates Marsch.

I don't put any faith in business of a random girl being said to have
long legs or a random guy having head scars.  Could be they arose in
ordinary ways, or perhaps one or both paid a visit to Maitre's operating
table.  If the legs or scars were odd enough for No. 5 to notice as
remarkable, they must be unusual.

And starcrosser technology as understood by the Old Wise One seems to be
identical to that of modern-day Earthlings.

- Gerry Quinn