(urth) Short Story 110: The Cat

Jeffery Wilson clueland.com jwilson at clueland.com
Tue Aug 26 20:21:03 PDT 2014

On 8/26/2014 12:45 PM, Marc Aramini wrote:
> In Thecla's story, she and her thirteen year old friend Domnina play
> between Father Inire's two great mirrors, and move candelabra to
> opposite ends of them.

I believe there are a couple of mistakes here.

"'I was thirteen, Severian, and I had a friend named Domnina....'"

Thecla was thirteen, Domnina's age is not given.

"'You must take my word for it that at one place in the Hall of Meaning
there are two mirrors.'"

The mirrors here are never referred to as Father Inire's. Indeed,
Domnina's sighting of a liminal being in them surprises him and his demo
takes place at the many-mirrored chamber,  so it is unlikely the two
mirrors in the Hall of Meaning are specially associated with Inire any
more than any other feature of the House Absolute is.

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab