(urth) 5HC

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 07:21:18 PDT 2014

Marsch had already been to St Anne and been replaced when he met Number
Five.  They look at each other and instantly recognize a few things -
Marsch sees Number Five is a clone and Number Five sees that Marsch is not
a human with his green eyes, calling him an abo (or at least half
abo). There isn't time between Marsch mentions in "The Fifth Head of
Cerberus" for him to have gone to St. Anne in between - the Marsch who
shows up is the one who has lived through the events in "VRT".

(The killed stag's eyes on VRT are also affected by something happening in
them which doubles the pupil, which seems to be undergoing meiosis or
mitosis (I favor meiosis, of course), and the great pits Eye and Other Eye
in A Story at first led me to think there was some kind of eye infection
going on, but that didn't hold up - but it does show that the eyes on St.
Anne can be affected by something. As I said, much as the Shadow Children
create an empathetic identity based on who is around them, the cat had
created a Victor empathy which was passed on to Marsch)

Regardless of the above parenthesis, Marsch had been replaced by something
by the time Number Five met him, and I thought it was funny how easily they
recognized the identity of the other, resonating with the theme of Trip,
Trap - objective reality sometimes isn't that hard to spot by someone with
no subjective bias. I no longer feel that way about Fifth Head, though.