(urth) Baldanders' dream

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Wed Aug 20 14:07:59 PDT 2014

On 20/08/2014 13:47, Lee wrote:
> Though "Echidna" is not mentioned by name in BotNS, it would seem
> Wolfe thought "snake" and "cave dwelling" would be enough clues to tie
> the character of The Cumaean to the wife of Typhon. Since few got the
> reference, Wolfe made sure the name Echidna was front and center in
> Long Sun.

Echidna is, but the Cumaean isn't, so it hardly ties the two
characters.  Snakes and caves do not an Echidna make -  as you point out
yourself, a mash-up of two Appolonian shrines is enough. Besides, she's
not necessarily a snake:

"As I had suspected, the Cumaean was not a woman at all; yet neither was
she one of the horrors I had beheld in the gardens of the House
Absolute. Something sleekly reptilian coiled about the glowing rod. I
looked for the head but found none, though each of the patternings on
the reptile's back was a face, and the eyes of each face seemed lost in
rapture."

She shares no obvious personality characteristics with Echidna.

- Gerry Quinn