(urth) : to the dark tower came and the bull(?) of the sun

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 23:45:50 PDT 2014

doing some research for my "Solar Labyrinth: write up and was quite pleased
to rediscover that the killing of the astral bull of the sun was every bit
as important to the syncretic Mithras worship in the late Hellenistic and
Roman cults as the execution of Christ is in the Christian cosmology.  I
earlier wrote that "To the Dark Tower Came" was a semiotic study of
slippage in the letter s, but was confounded a bit by the symbolism of the
bison and the penned whale.

Could that bison, pierced by the arrow, possibly from the archer
Sagittarius,  represent the bull of the sun? (Also, are the women with fire
in their eyes who flank the young king sybils, or Delphic pythians? Seers
for the god of light and the sun, Apollo? (In addition to healing, Apollo
brought plague and sickness, too - thus the rats, besides representing
senility eating at the mind of the king).  Can we safely call a bison a
bull?  They are definitely bovines like cattle, but might not be a valid
Taurus. (Tarus is a species name for cows)