(urth) Is this a clue?

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 05:18:25 PDT 2014

For a narrator in Wolfe to be actually stretching truth, there's usually a
reason.  Ignorance and lack of self understanding in short sun, denial in
Peace, suppression in Suzanne Delage.  What purpose does that small lack of
realism serve at the start?

The external picture we get of Severian in "the map" shows a badly beaten
Eata half blinded by his blood thinking "Severian had beaten him more than
once ... Worse than Laetus and Syntyche last night ... Now Severian was the
autarch, Severian was the law, and murderers died under the law's hand"

Cruelty and excessive order. Thus if Severian is unreliable, it is most
probably in asking for the obedience of his subjects - areas that stress
"we obey" and place his ascension as part of a preordained path from the
start.