(urth) Short Story 87: The Detective of Dreams

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Aug 11 04:41:24 PDT 2014

On 11/08/2014 03:59, Marc Aramini wrote:

> Why are the dreams striking this city in particular? Is there a larger
> reason for the substantiation of divine warning here? Could it be
> related to the events that are about to occur in German history and
> the widespread persecution of the Jews? Or are we to see it as
> individual warnings?

Good question.  The warnings seem initially to be aimed at individuals,
but one could argue that there is a progression from a purely personal
fault (Fraulein A_) to a materialism which affects society (the banker)
to the brutality of rulers (Karl's wife and her dream of the gallows
"which is not really in the back garden, of course".)

But it's hard to see why a particular city could be all that relevant.
The stories of the Dream Master are universal, after all.

As for its location, I get an Austrian feel, I assume we are set in the
late days of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

- Gerry Quinn