(urth) Short Story 81: Suzanne Delage

entonio at gmail.com entonio at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 06:49:15 PDT 2014

No dia 06/08/2014, às 14:22, Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com> escreveu:

> On 06/08/2014 14:07, Marc Aramini wrote:
>> I wrote this step in the exegesis just for you, Gerry ;)
>>
>> 1) That an extraordinary event actually could be forgotten, so that he can’t be trusted to reliably remember it. If he could remember it, then the premise of the story is invalid. If we do not accept this premise, the analysis can stop right here – the extraordinary event in his life is that he never met Suzanne Delage.
>
> Indeed, that is the extraordinary event.  The point of the story is its implications.  There's also the question of *why*, to which it seems we are given no answer.

You mean to say Wilfe wrote a story with a foregone unremarkable conclusion? Why write it at all? In which act is the gun fired?

(I like guns that don't end firing, but they'd better be surrounded by others that do.)

That the narrator hasn't forgotten the fact that he never met SD automatically prevents it from being an extraordinary event that has been forgotten. Not to mention that it isn't an event at all.