(urth) What are you reading?

Fred Kiesche godelescherbach at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 06:07:50 PDT 2014

Empire Star is old enough that SRD may have influenced Wolfe as much as
Wolfe influenced SRD. It was pretty early on in both their careers, when
they were both showing up as Nebula winners, appearing in Orbit (Damon
Knight) and the like.

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 6:13 AM, Piotr Szczęsny <neternalz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just finished "Empire Star" by Samuel R. Delany. It was kinda Wolfean
> style story, unreliable narrator, needs re-reading and has a woman
> character that feels like taken out from Wolfe book also her name is San
> Severina, but that's just a coincidence (or not?) :). Maybe this is a long
> shot, so anyone had similar feeling? This is a short book, but definitely
> fun, I was looking for some classic SF light reading and got a light mind
> bender ;).

>> Hello, Urthlings. What are you reading these days?  I haven't been
>> reading much Wolfe lately, so nothing is fresh enough in my mind to
>> participate in some of the other ongoing discussions.
>>
>> I am working my way through the Harvard Classics.  I just finished the
>> fourth volume, the complete poems in English by John Milton.  *Paradise
>> Lost *was a treat, as was Franklin's autobiography in the first volume
>> and the *New Atlantis *by Bacon in the third, which is an old favorite
>> of mine from my philosophy major days.
>>
>> I've also recently read *The Sea, the Sea *by Iris Murdoch, which was
>> excellent, and *The City of Dreaming Books *by Moers, which was great,
>> silly fun*.*  I also read the first 50 pages of *Lookout Cartridge* by
>> McElroy and decided to put it back on the shelf for the time being.  It
>> wasn't particularly *bad, *it was just entirely unsuccessful in grabbing
>> my attention within a reasonable amount of time, together with being
>> written in a very disjointed, unique style.  I will probably get back to it
>> in the near future.
>>
>> Anyway, I am getting back on a Wolfe kick today by finishing the latter
>> half of *The Island of Doctor Death, and Other Stories, and Other
>> Stories*. Looking forward to it!

F.P. Kiesche III

Husband, Father, Good Cook. Reader. Keeper of abandoned dogs. Catholic
Liberal Conservative Militarist. Does not fit into a neat box or category.
"Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, square book. Always, scribble,
scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of Gloucester, on being presented with
Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.) Blogging at Bernal
Alpha. On Twitter as @FredKiesche