(urth) Short Story 61*: Civis Laputus Sum

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Wed Apr 30 15:06:02 PDT 2014

Marc Aramini wrote:
>There is an odd statement Jeremy makes, saying his murder will be “the
>first time in five thousand years one of us has taken the life of one of
>them.

3000BC is the rough date that is often given to the expression 'the
beginning of recorded history', so perhaps that was what he meant. But
*why* is that date given? Because it's roughly when writing appeared,
hence 'recorded' history. So I think Jeremy means that people like him
- the scribes, the scholars - have been the victims for as long as
their class has existed.