(urth) Short Story 61*: Civus Laputus Sum

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 09:50:42 PDT 2014

One more thing that I think is pertinent to Wolfe's criticism of academics
is the obscurity of Melville during his life and his general disregard, and
then a resurgence early in the 20th century of "rediscovery" - such that in
the story, all the academics can think to do is memorize Moby Dick.  Thus
his comments, only dead authors are good to them.