(urth) "been teaching literature for over 35 years"

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 09:46:16 PDT 2013

From: Jeffery Wilson jwilson at clueland.com

>>> <http://xaonon.dyndns.org/hawking/>.
>>>
>>> It's really not fair to hold Wolfe to the standards of another 3-4 decades
>>> of theoretical physics.
>>
>> That's why I said "even as currently understood".  I was just thinking about
>> what might happen with current physics, as I take it Gerry was too, not holding
>> Wolfe to anything.
>>
>>> We no longer have the expectation of transcending
>>> space and dimension as when the Book was being written.
>>
>> I don't remember that we did then--did we?
>
>A popular treatment in print was THE IRON SUN: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE WITH
>BLACK HOLES    (ISBN 0525134905, 9780525134909). Disney did a film called
>THE BLACK HOLE, and Blue Oyster Cult had
>  some airplay with "Heavy Metal, Black and Silver".

Oh, okay.  I think that at the time, the theory that black holes might lead to other
universes (or other parts of this one), where they might be white holes, was
still current.  I think the theory of black hole radiation, in which black holes and
white holes are the same thing, was also available (developed by Bekenstein
in 1972 and Hawking in 1974).

>>> I think it's a stretch when she throws them on the *sun*'s grave.
>>
>> I'm not following.  What's a stretch?  What's the sun's grave?
>

>I'm thinking it's figurative reference like, "I feel like someone is
>walking on my grave."

Are you trying to frustrate me, or did I miss a post about "the sun's grave"?  What's
a figurative reference like that line?

Jerry Friedman