(urth) "been teaching literature for over 35 years" - reliable knowledge

Sergei SOLOVIEV soloviev at irit.fr
Sun Sep 8 14:09:54 PDT 2013

The idea seems interesting, though to me the "thing" reminded (when I
was reading) rather Balrog of Tolkien -

Another remark - I think that essential achievement of GW is creation of
the atmosphere of
"medieval" world in BOTNs, when there is very little reliable
information (remember
Severian's thoughts after his visit to sorcerer's willage about
transmission of information
about "magics"). If we compare it with our Middle Ages, since Antiquity
there where
scholars and educated people who knew that Earth is round, not flat, by
the way,
most of Roman Church hierarchy knew it, but people still believed in the
flat Earth -

Sergei