(urth) "been teaching literature for over 35 years"

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Sep 9 02:58:20 PDT 2013

From: Jerry Friedman
[..]

> I think that a black hole, even as currently understood, would cool the
> sun
>  if it were significantly cooler than the temperature of the interior of
> the sun.
> You can have some fun at <http://xaonon.dyndns.org/hawking/>.

The Hawking temperature of a black hole in the sun doesn't matter.  What
matters is the energy emission from infalling matter as it accelerates and
is compressed before reaching the Schwarzschild radius.  Presumably it will
form an accretion disk in the heart of the sun, but this will only happen
when the radiation from the disk is sufficient to balance the hydrostatic
pressure in a 'bubble' at the core of the sun.  Which is pretty high
pressure!

If the black hole is not parked in the centre but orbiting at some distance,
it will cause a net increase in radiation.  But over time 'friction' (in the
most general sense) and mass increase will bring it to the centre.

So that's the first thing - the black hole is radiating pretty hard due to
infalling matter.  Actually it seems arguable that it might radiate about as
much as was radiated from the same zone (the zone of balance) as was
radiating before, in which case its direct influence on the sun's
temperature would be slight considering the black hole alone.

However, the radiation from the black hole comes from already 'burned' solar
matter.  As it absorbs matter from the heart of the sun, more hydrogen-rich
fuel will fall towards the centre of the sun.  Surely this would be expected
to release some extra energy due to nuclear fusion?

In the second place, as it absorbs the sun's core matter it should cause the
sun to effectively age.  Stars like the sun get hotter as they age, as the
'burn' zone where fusion takes place expands in radius.  So for this reason,
too, I would expect a black hole to cause the sun to heat up.

I'm sure - Wolfe's lack of detail wins again - one could find an argument
for how cooling might occur.  But on first principles, I'd expect a black
hole dropped into the sun to have a warming effect.

- Gerry Quinn