(urth) "been teaching literature for over 35 years"

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Sun Sep 8 18:55:46 PDT 2013

On Sun, September 8, 2013 17:40, David Stockhoff wrote:

> On 9/8/2013 6:07 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>> Back in ~1980, I believe the isotopic decay source was the only one
>> generally recognized, and it's possible that the metal depletion
>> mentioned
>> in the Book would be of*radioactive*  metals, powering the great ships
>> and
>> robots aboard them. This explains a possible reason for there to be
>> still
>> funeral bronzes and moveable type in a metal poor world, and of course
>> isotopes sent into space can't keep the crust lubricated.
>
> How far down would humans have to strip the mantle (using robots, of
> course) to mess with tectonics? Wouldn't the entire planetary surface
> have to be mined? or just where plates meet?

I have no idea, but it seems like no coincidence that *everywhere* in
Sev's time anyone happens to delve into the earth, there is already
evidence of previous diggers and builders.  Even underwater, he discovers
another huge drowned city beyond his own huge, newly drowned city. It
apparently took only a few centuries to carve faces into every mountain in
Sudamerica with the gear Typhon brought with him and was able to scrounge,
and there have been many nations on Urth for many chiliads before him....

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab