(urth) Short Sun notes: Remora

Andreas Johansson andreas.havok at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 05:02:54 PDT 2013

Just finished *Book of the Short Sun* recently, for the first time so I'm
pretty sure you've already discussed this until death & beyond, but I was
struck by the idea that Green isn't Urth - Green is Lune, Blue is Urth,
after the flood in Urth of the New Sun. That is, Typhon-Pas (funny how a
mythological chaos dragon changed his name to "Peace") somehow sent the
Whorl beyond Severian's re-creation/eschaton/whatever. How? I have no idea.
How does that account for the Neighbours & the inhumi? I have even less of
an idea. There are probably three-hundred reasons in the texts why this
doesn't make sense, and I'm eager to hear about them. But the pairing of a
blue planet (Earth is blue. Urth is/was/will (not) be blue) and the green
neighbour ... well I don't know. It looks good to me.

Here's for a Gene Wolfe/Urth list newbie making his first post around here
(have only read BotNS thrice yet, mind you).

--

/Andreas