(urth) Seawrack

Fred Kiesche godelescherbach at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 10:51:56 PST 2013

No, he's Spartacus!

//beat//

No, I'm Spartacus!

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Silk isn't Jesus, he's Moses.
>

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 5:13 AM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>wrote:
>
>>  Any chance she is a projection of Hyacinth/Kypris? She couldn't possibly
>> have her own personality. Something suppresses the memories of eating dead
>> sailors and allows her to communicate with Horn.
>>
>> On another note, Silk's relationship with Hy parallels the nontraditional
>> theories of Jesus' being married to Mary Magdalene? Does that lead us
>> anywhere, theologically or otherwise?
>>
>> And speaking of Mary, it has been noted by mythicists that if you added
>> up all the Marys in the life of Jesus you'd have about a dozen---all the
>> women are named Mary. This reminds me of St. Catherine and her maids, of
>> course. Same question as above.
>>
>> Speaking of Mary part 2: "The meaning [of the name Mary] is not known for
>> certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness",
>> "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely
>> originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from *mry*"beloved" or
>> *mr* "love"."
>>
>> (Will Dan Brown's next novel assert that Mary was cloned? And why
>> not---she was perfect enough to be chosen as Jesus' mother!)
>>

>> On 11/22/2013 11:14 AM, Lee wrote:
>>
>>  Darrell Burgan: The more I think about it, the more confused I
>> Darrell Burgan: the more I think about it, the more confused I am about the role
>> of Seawrack in the Short Sun novels. She is clearly an important character in OBW,
>> but there is little information about her origin, or even how she is involved in the
>> many great arcs of the story.
>>
>>  Regarding her origin, I think there are two conflicting stories presented.
>> One is that she is a human girl who happened to fall into the water and was
>> taken under the wing (so to speak) of the monstrous Mother who nurtured her
>> and mutated her into a sea being.
>>
>> I think that story is a lie and a deliberate deception to make her more
>> acceptable and appealing to Horn. I think her true origin can be found
>> between the lines.
>>
>> Seawrack is a female figure who was budded off from the larger mass of
>> the giant undersea monster/god called The Mother. This is in parallel to
>> the female buds we see on the back of Great Scylla in RttW. And probably
>> also in parallel to the production of undines by Abaia on Urth.
>>
>> Abaia is conflated with a boat armed with cannon in BotNS and I think the same
>> thing happens when Horn encounters the all-black pirate ship with its
>> female crew. Seawrack loses her arm when Horn shoots and hits the most
>> prominent female on that boat. I think that "pirate ship" was The Mother.
>>
>> In mythology, Echidna is the "mother of all monsters" (Typhon is the "father"
>> but that's a different thread). By some accounts, Echidna is the mother of
>> the sirens (beautiful but monsters nonetheless). Two of the Whorl goddesses
>> have the names of sirens, Molpe and Thelxiepeia. On Blue, the Mother's genesis
> [...]

F.P. Kiesche III

Husband, Father, Good Cook. Reader. Keeper of abandoned dogs. Catholic
Liberal Conservative Militarist. Does not fit into a neat box or category.
"Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, square book. Always, scribble,
scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of Gloucester, on being presented with
Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.) Blogging at Bernal
Alpha. On Twitter as @FredKiesche