(urth) Just discovered this list

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sat Nov 9 03:42:45 PST 2013

From: Darrell Burgan

> I've read the New Sun books twice, the Long Sun once and Short Sun twice,
>  and am about to embark on my third reading of New Sun. I just cannot get
> enough of Gene Wolfe. He makes me think.

Welcome!

> Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I'll pose it anyway. Is there
> any
> symbolic or literal relationship between Seawrack of Short Sun and Mamelta
> of Long Sun? After all, Mamelta told Silk they would one day be lovers,
> and
>  then was apparently eaten by a giant fish before any such thing happened

I don't recall anyone coming up with this one before!

My interpretation is that it was Mucor saying this, while she possessed
Mamelta.  It would not surprise me if Mucor were prepared to make love in
somebody else's body, such as Mamelta's, although perhaps she was just
fantasising without any particular intent.

As for Mamelta, we do hear her story - it appears she was a middle-class
computer programmer conscripted to go onto the Whorl.  One can make up
reasons why she might have been Silk's biological mother, but if Wolfe
wanted to hint that she was also needed as an egg-donor, say, which could
make such a theory far more plausible, he easily could have.

So I think she was mainly a walk-on character who got eaten by a fish.

- Gerry Quinn