(urth) The Cumaean

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri May 10 09:57:40 PDT 2013

>Gerry Quinn: What I always find a little odd is that there is not anything like the same
>interest in colonising the sea-bed.  You'd think that would be easier, and
>possibly more useful.  Are martians just that much cooler than mermen?

Yes, I think they must be. But I've always thought the same thing; if we really needed
more space to live, we've already got 75% of the earth's surface available, not to
mention the depth factor. How deep would you have to go to be safe from storms but still
get significant sunlight?

Of course we really have no shortage of living space for humans on earth as the view from
an airplane flight makes clear. Our population is limited by arable land, not space to live.
Perhaps one day, the oceans will serve us in that capacity.

Did a little research just for fun and if my calculations are correct, the entire 7 billion
human population of the world could live fairly comfortably within the land area of France and
Germany combined.

(my definition of comfort was based on the population density of Los Angeles (7500/sq. mi.),
which is a more comfortable place to live than New York (27,500/sq. mi) and far less crowded
than insane places like Delhi (75,512/sq. mi). or Manila (111,500/sq. mi)
.