(urth) The Cumaean

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri May 10 05:19:32 PDT 2013

>Jeff Wilson: In the story, ships travel through a medium that inflicts horrible,
>almost universally fatal pain that requires frozen passengers to travel under the
>care of crewmen with nigh-perpetual nerve blocks.

Funny how perceptions have changed. When I was young, the assumption was that
human space travel was so important and necessary we'd have to suffer any long, cryogenic
sleep, mutating cosmic rays, interstellar pain, or other miseries to accomplish the goal.

In more recent days, G.W. Bush is practically laughed out of office for suggesting we put
a man on Mars.  And despite all the SF of my childhood, and the amazing accomplishment of
early space travel, I must concur with the majority:  human bodies are terribly impractical
space cargo. We might as well let the robots do that job. Send Jonah and Ossipago and Sidero
and chems and taluses out there and keep the people on Urth.