(urth) The Cumaean

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Fri May 10 06:01:24 PDT 2013

From: Lee Berman

> In more recent days, G.W. Bush is practically laughed out of office for
> suggesting we put
> a man on Mars.  And despite all the SF of my childhood, and the amazing
> accomplishment of
> early space travel, I must concur with the majority:  human bodies are
> terribly impractical
> space cargo. We might as well let the robots do that job. Send Jonah and
> Ossipago and Sidero
> and chems and taluses out there and keep the people on Urth.

A lot of people are willing to sign up for a one-way trip to Mars (though I
think they are optimistic if they assume their life expectancy there would
be high).

What I always find a little odd is that there is not anything like the same
interest in colonising the sea-bed.  You'd think that would be easier, and
possibly more useful.  Are martians just that much cooler than mermen?

- Gerry Quinn