(urth) The Cumaean

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed May 8 06:45:06 PDT 2013

While having all this "belly of the beast" stuff in mind, it reminded me of another
idea. Did anyone ever get the impression that perhaps the whole Ship might be Tzadkiel?

When Severian first sees the angelic being in the mirror book, he recognizes it as being
as big as an island. And there does seem to be a somewhat organic nature to the interior
of the ship.

Was the choice of light sails as propulsion for the ship to invoke the idea of angel
wings? I guess Cherubim have four sets of wings and Seraphim have six sets. I think we
don't know how many Archangels have.  I forget the architecture of Tzadkiel's ship. Do
we know how many sets of sails there are? Is the whole ship supposed to be seven-sided?
I think there are seven Archangels.

Just throwing some ideas out there.