(urth) Madregot

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri May 3 19:58:09 PDT 2013

>Dan'l Danehy-Oakes: "The term madregot comprises the various forms of >super¬natural revelation,
>vision, clairvoyance, telepathy, miracle, healing, release from the
>physical, and the like.
>"The relation to all these madregot (though they may also be the basis for
>'miracles') is like that of the Talmud: an attitude of respect and
>deference, together with a certain suspicion and disdain.

>Thus, although madregot were considered valuable means, they were never
>felt to be the end in themselves."

Thanks, Dan'l. Very informative. It would appear Wolfe chose well for the
name Brook Madregot. It would appear to serve no purpose except as a conduit.
Tinkerbell Tzadkiel there is very helpful to Severian, but her lingering
laughter as Severian departs always makes me feel a bit suspicious.

>"The madregot are as marvelous as any other spiritual gifts, capable of
>bringing much benefit and grace.
>"But if they are not used correctly, they can become the very opposite."

Hm, yes. Severian's wanton abuse of Brook Madregot lands him in the time of
Apu Punchau, and a lifestyle quite lacking in grace and refinement.