(urth) Agilus and Agia

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed May 1 08:45:45 PDT 2013

I find those points difficult to argue with. I also had not considered the misericorde-Pelerine connection---it seems strong.

It reminds me that one of the things that makes BNS hard to sort out is that Wolfe's archaisms can hide correspondences. If one woman has a stiletto or a rondel and another a misericorde, we think at first read that the author is merely being pedantic. But the symbolism of the misericorde cannot be set aside. Wolfe used that term for its precise meaning: mercy.Terminus Est is also a misericorde of sorts, but Severian is a kind of misericorde for Urth. Several characters seem to have an unhealthy fascination with death, in sharp contrast with Severian's professional demeanor; is it much surprise that Agila and Hethor end up together?

I think Agilus is definitely intended to be read as a wearer of masks. The ribbons stay on because he keeps them on, ready to put on another mask at a moment's notice. He wears a mask (with the same ribbons) under his septentrion's helm---whether it's the same death's head mask or not---and this is of course a clue that it's him. The wearing of masks points to the warlocks. I don't think the ribbons need to be painted on---such behavior does not correlate with anything.