(urth) Agilus and Agia

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed May 1 07:54:32 PDT 2013

>aaron: I have always wondered about the ribbons above Agilus' ears, though. And
>Borski's explanation doesn't satisfy.

I don't remember Borski's explanation on the ribbons but I think there are a number
of subtle hints to be found in the various attributes and acoutrements of these two.
For example, Agia mentions inheriting a "misericorde" from her mother. This is a slim
blade used for the purpose of battlefield mercy killings. This is enough for me to
conclude that their mother was a Pelerine, though I'm sure not all would concur. For
me these clues plus others help me place the twins within Severian's family tree.

Agia is observed scratching out a depiction of a "jurupari". This is the name for a
certain S.A. fish whose name translates to "demon eartheater" and also a S.A. mythical
monster that swallows its human prey whole so that they think they are in a cave. I think
this is a foreshadow of the man-ape cave to which Agia leads Severian and helps explain
the enormous being Severian senses below it. (it connects to the Fish Mouth/Fomalhaut
theme also)

With regard to Agilus' apparently painted on head stripes, my best guess is that this
foreshadows and connects to the face and body painting of the Jungle Sorcercers. They,
like Agilus, use trickery in an attempt to take Terminus Est from Severian.

Moreover these clues plus others (e.g. the black bean or seed) seem to connect these twins,
like the Jungle Sorcerers, to an anti-New Sun cult which is likely connected to the
megatherians curently ruling Urth. As the caloyer of Saltus tells us, such beings will
be swept away by the coming of the New Sun. Agia and Agilus are part of a series of traps
or tests which have been set for Severian to encounter on his journey.