(urth) fifth head owlet- wolf

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Thu Mar 28 10:26:50 PDT 2013

Marc Aramini wrote:
> ...more telling in this section is the concept that the sleeping place
>of the Hillmen moves and hides itself if it is not satisfied with the
>sacrifice a Hillman brings - thus Sandwalker leaves little bodies at
>night and sometimes they are gone in the morning.

I don’t think this passage is about sacrifice to a magic sleeping
place. It’s just a poetic way of saying “If you don’t provide food for
the the tribe, the tribe will move on without telling you.”

‘[others] had come back to the sleeping place with hands empty and
slack bellies, hoping for leavings and begging their mothers for
breasts now belonging to a younger child. These were dead. They had
learned the truth that the sleeping place is easily found by a
food-bringer, not hard for a full belly to find; but shifts and turns
before hungry mouths until it is lost in the stones, and on the third
empty day is gone forever.’ - A Story, 5HoC

The little bodies Sandwalker leaves at night are mice to keep the
Shadow Children from killing him while he sleeps, as one of the SCs
confirms:

“Mice you left us while you came here, and now you would be repaid in
deer’s flesh. Dear mice indeed. We should have strangled you while you
slept."