(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: _Home Fires_, 1982 roundtable

Gwern Branwen gwern at gwern.net
Wed Jun 5 10:13:36 PDT 2013

'A 1982 Video Interview with Isaac Asimov, Harlan Ellison and Gene
Wolfe Wherein They Discuss the Label “Science Fiction”'
http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2013/06/a-1982-video-interview-of-isaac-asimov-harlan-ellison-and-gene-wolfe/

No transcript; video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEmHXfJ185E
(24:51; uploaded by 'The Harlan Ellison Channel'
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1XrlRQsRxYfuc47CCJN05w ). This TV
show video was apparently uploaded for the 6 May 2013 _LA Times_
article http://www.latimes.com/features/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-harlan-ellison-isaac-asimov-studs-terkel-together-video-20130503,0,4570585.story

> ...In some ways, the show was so stereotypically highbrow -- an oriental rug, subtle classical music introduction and soporific announcer -- that it might be mistaken for a "Saturday Night Live" sketch. Not so when Terkel and Trillin hosted a trio of science fiction writers: Isaac Asimov, Harlan Ellison and Gene Wolfe. That's partly because of Asimov's out-of-this-world sideburns -- or are they mutton chops? But mostly because Ellison is in top rapid-fire, pugilistic form.
>
> Ellison comes out swinging. He doesn't like the term "science fiction," and as Trillin grapples to come up with the appropriate word to describe Ellison's feelings about the term, Ellison jumps in with "loathe." "I write a kind of surreal fantasy, but they can't put 'surreal fantasy' on a paperback," Ellison says.
>
> Terkel asks Asimov what he thinks of the term "science fiction," and Asimov disagrees with Ellison. "I love it," Asimov says. "That's what I grew up reading and writing. And I'm very broad-minded about the term 'science fiction.' I'll include under 'science fiction' everything that Harlan wants." "I'll get you later," Ellison interjects. Asimov continues: "It's just that my own personal feeling is that the best science fiction involves science." Later he explains this further, taking apart the movie "Alien," which he sees as little more than a spooky story set in space.
>
> The conversation jumps from genre to the pressures of marketing to the prophetic successes and failures of science fiction. The best part may be when Terkel, who's been slumped in his chair, sits forward to connect the way that writers perceive man's nature with how seriously their work is taken (spoiler: optimists lose).

This discussion, turns out, was not long after _Book of the New Sun_
started (_The Sword of the Lictor_ was '82 as well; I'm not sure
whether this video was before or after). Wolfe doesn't participate
much - Ellison dominates proceedings a fair bit - but see 4:40, 8:50,
11:00, 15:50

"Home Fires: Just what you’d expect from Gene Wolfe", Marion Deeds
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/home-fires-2/

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net