(urth) Time, Not Cloning

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Mon Jul 29 11:31:45 PDT 2013

On Mon, July 29, 2013 11:01, Brian wrote:
> I suppose the prostitutes
> (boy I can't remember any of the exact terms from the books) imply
> cloning,
> and that's enough to allow for cloning to be the method by which Severian
> is replaced when necessary.

The girls at the bawdy house called Echopraxia are said to be khaibits,
which is supposed to be the Egyptian word for "shadow", and echopraxia is
a medical term for the involuntary repetition of another's actions, so
yeah, clones.

But the Yesodis do seem have the ability to make aquastors (duplicates of
beings) without borrowing from other timelines, we see aquastors of
Triskele and Master Malrubius appear and disappear and dissolve into their
component energies, and then at the trial in URTH they pull up aquastors
of people who wouldn't have an alternate timeline counterpart, like Master
Ash.

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab