(urth) Latro Thoughts

Fernando Gouvea fqgouvea at colby.edu
Mon Jul 29 10:04:55 PDT 2013

 From what Wolfe has been saying, another /Soldier/ seems very unlikely.

The interaction with the gods is central to the Latro books in way that
go way beyond the /Long Sun/ books, I think.

Fernando

On 7/29/2013 12:14 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> "Does the series conclude with S.o.Sidon?" -- That depends on whether
> Wolfe writes another one or not. The series is open-ended.
>

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Antonin Scriabin
> <kierkegaurdian at gmail.com <mailto:kierkegaurdian at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I had been putting off the Latro books for a while so that I would
>     always have an unread Wolfe series to look forward to, but my
>     curiosity has finally gotten the better of me.  I am nearly done
>     with /Soldier of the Mist, /and have been enjoying it.  It has a
>     number of parallels with the /Long Sun /books, such as the
>     (apparent) reality of gods, detailed discussions of blood
>     sacrifice, a just-outside-of-view threat from non-humans like
>     vampires and werewolves, etc.  It actually seems like a prototype
>     version of what became /The Book of the New Sun/; a central male
>     hero suffers some kind of mental "event" (on the one hand, severe
>     brain trauma, and on the other, enlightenment) that opens the door
>     to gods (or to what appear as gods).  In both works, these gods
>     are petty, prone to infighting, and in many ways offer more
>     questions than answers to the hero.  He has only been mentioned
>     twice so far, but I also feel that the Unknown God / Outsider
>     similarity can't be a coincidence.  Anyways, I know that you guys
>     have all probably been over these topics plenty, I just wanted to
>     air a few thoughts.  I do have one question: does the series
>     conclude with /Soldier of Sidon/?  I would, of course, like to
>     avoid spoilers, I am mostly interested in the possibility of more
>     Latro novels.  Thanks!

> --
> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

Fernando Q. Gouvea         http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea
Carter Professor and Chair
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
Colby College              Editor, Carus Mathematical Monographs
5836 Mayflower Hill        Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901       http://www.maa.org/publications/maa-reviews

Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off.
   -- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods