(urth) Time, Not Cloning

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Wed Jul 31 16:12:30 PDT 2013

On Wed, July 31, 2013 15:05, DAVID STOCKHOFF wrote:
>>But I recall from Cyriaca's uncle's story that a form of eidolon was
>>invented on Urth at some point, where the machines entrusted with the
>> care
>>of mankind were able to give everyone an "invisible friend", and
>>apparently the machines went a bit further before they broke down. I
>> think
>>this, along the great gathering of books and technology into the citadel
>>will support a new hypothesis on the nature of Holy Katherine, that she
>> is
>>a simple eidolon/aquastor projected for the Torturer's benefit by some of
>>the remaining salvaged machinery, explaining why she is the same age each
>>year, survives beheading, and is placidly compliant.
>>

>>Jeff, that just made my head asplode.

Here's my shot at making it implode: I meant to write "the torturers'
benefit" above, but perhaps the Increate guided my hand. If Holy Katherine
*is* an eidolon form Sev's mind, then she *is* a shadow of Severian The
Torturer's, and is the title character of the first book!

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab