(urth) Time, Not Cloning

Brian brian at studiobl.com
Mon Jul 29 09:01:49 PDT 2013

I don't honestly know how time would work for the Yesodis.  I'm imagining a
situation where you are in your "prime" timeline when Severian dies on you.
 So you get a replacement from a thread where he hasn't died.  Why not
switch yourself to that thread?  I don't know.  Maybe your current timeline
is right where you want it except for the unfortunate demise of Severian.
So you borrow a cup of sugar from your neighbor and bring it back to your
house, not move into your neighbor's house because they don't happen to be
out of sugar.  I would accept cloning, except there seems to be a lot of
time related technology in the books.  Vertical motion through certain
spaces seems to cause travel through time, the Last House seems to be a
very "time-volatile" locale, the displays in the House Absolute Garden
where you seem to be in two times at once, etc.  I suppose the prostitutes
(boy I can't remember any of the exact terms from the books) imply cloning,
and that's enough to allow for cloning to be the method by which Severian
is replaced when necessary.