(urth) Time, Not Cloning

Brian brian at studiobl.com
Mon Jul 29 06:54:12 PDT 2013

Jeff,

I meant that when a Severian died (drowned, for instance), the Yesodis
replaced him by pulling a Severian from another time line.  If they had
manipulated "their" time line to "undo" the death, there would not be
multiple corpses.  And their is no "other Severian" to struggle with ,
because a new Severian is only obtained when one dies.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++  Yes, but....      The Yesodis do seem to have
machinery that spans time, and they can use  long-forgotten Urth technology
across times, like the projection of  aquastors and eidolons, but Severian
seems able to perceive across time  and to bend the time-like accumulation
of entropy by some natural or at  least inborn gift, rather than by gadget.
   You suggestion that the replacement bodies come from other timelines'
Severians is interesting, though it raises the questions of why they
didn't just go with the survivor entirely, and why doesn't a struggle with
the other Severian ensue?      --   Jeff Wilson - < [LINK:
 A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab  < [LINK:
http://www.tamut.edu/cil] http://www.tamut.edu/cil >

On Thu, July 25, 2013 10:13, Brian wrote:  > The discussion of cloning a
while back was of interest to me, because I  > always thought that
Severian's replacement bodies were pulled from other  > timelines, where he
hadn't died--and in fact considered most of the  > "magic"  > in the books
to be combinations of technologies, including quite a bit of  > time
manipulation.