(urth) Alzabo elixir not so far-fetched?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Jul 13 22:29:21 PDT 2013

On 7/13/2013 11:30 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> From: Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com>
>>
>> http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/10/4510580/planarian-worm-regrows-memories-after-decapitation
>
> Planaria that had been trained to overcome their instinctive avoidance of bright lights and open spaces
> were decapitated.  After regenerating their heads, they could be trained to do the same things in only one
> lesson.
>
> That doesn't have much to do with gaining someone's memories by eating part of them.
>
> Jerry Friedman

I assume the connection would be that memories traditionally considered
to be stored on the brain were in this case stored elsewhere in the
body. That seems to be a key Wolfean conceit and one presumably
necessary for the alzabo effect, unless the animal always eats the brain
before it mimics its dead prey. However, there may be other ways to
explain this behavior in planaria.