(urth) Silk/Horn in the Matachin Tower

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 06:38:31 PST 2013

Perhaps "tacked on" was a bit too harsh.  Let's just say that I find *Short
Sun *to be quite a bit less mysterious than its predecessors, and the
insertion of Nessus, the Matachin Tower, etc., adds to that impression.
Starting off *Long Sun *for example, mysteries abound. What is the Whorl?
What time is it?  Who/what are the gods?  Cards?  The Writings? How big is
the Whorl?  Etc., etc., etc.  It took a lot of time, allusion, and build-up
to get there, so when the "Typhon is Pas" moment *did *come, it completely
blew me away.  By the time the *Short Sun *rolls around, however, we know
all these things, and additionally we know the connection between the Red
Sun Whorl and the rest of the elements of *Long Sun.  *The mysteries of
Blue and Green are never presented in a way that made me beyond eager to
find our their solutions ... they seem less fun in comparison to the other
works, partially because we seem to spend quite a bit less time on them
than we did on board the Whorl.  I suppose the focus of *Short Sun *is
intentionally much different, so perhaps it is my fault for expecting
more *Long
*and *New*?