(urth) Peace, Jurgen, Nessus

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 24 09:29:19 PST 2013

Tried to send this message a few times but it hasn't gone through.  Still looking up references in Peace, at one point Lois Arbuthnot says that Weer's sword is not like Jurgen's.  (it is a secret sword, a pocket knife) so I started to read Jurgen, which is dedicated to burton rascoe.  Not quite enough to get the name Roscoe which Blaine uses for James McAfee, but within three pages several things struck me: talk of Jurgen as a symbol of the sun, and then talk of the Nessus shirt. The centaur Nessus allows Jurgen to talk to his earliest love when she is young before her betrayals.  Time shifting of perceptions going on as well there.