(urth) Editor in China requesting help with translation

Lee severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 17 07:25:59 PST 2013

>I carried them to her, and she said my beard had shot up like them, and I
>should be bluer of cheek than the run of common men, and the next day
>begged my pardon for it, saying I was that already.

IIRC, the "she" is Thecla speaking to Severian while imprisoned. I can't
see why she would beg for pardon for saying he wasn't yet pale enough.

Thecla struggled between dismissing Severian as a boy toy and truly caring
about him. So I am with the majority in thinking the "blue" refers to beard
shadow and this is an example in which she fears she had implied he was not
yet a man and hopes to make up for it.

>confirm the outcome of a love affair by putting the elector of one suit atop
> the patroness of another

My first thought on seeing the word "suit" in the context of a love affair
is the idea of seeking a hand in marriage, as in "suitor".

Perhaps it is a bit of that, but I prefer the primary meaning as interpreted
by Gwern as tarot card reading as it relates both to putting a suit upon a suit
and confirming a love affair outcome through fortune telling.