(urth) The future of cloning, continued‏

Lee severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 30 11:40:44 PST 2013

>David Stockhoff: I wonder what happens to khaibits whose originals die. Do they take
>their place in secret? They would then be able to marry and carry on the
>family. Or are they discarded?

The implication from House Azure is that the khaibits are notably shorter than their
exultant donor/mistresses.

Still, I remain enamoured of my theory that nomenclature can denote clone status, as
Thea is a derived diminutive of Thecla and Pega is the same for her mistress named
Pelagia.

But Thecla and Thea seem both to be equally of exultant height. And Thea has her own
khaibit named Thais (wordplay for "Thea's"?)

Then there are the "sunken cheeks". Thais has them. So does Severian. And is a "heart-
shaped" face a sunken-cheek version of a "triangular face"? Mark of a clone? A product
of having blood siphoned off?

I dunno. Too much contradictory and inconclusive evidence. I have to concede that Wolfe
did not want us to fully know so much about everyone who is a clone in BotNS, perhaps to
maintain the dark sense of identity mystery first established in Fifth Head of Cerberus.