(urth) Five Severians - Severian-as-clone

Paul Watson lazarus at lazaruscorporation.co.uk
Fri Dec 20 09:32:08 PST 2013

De-lurking to say that I've been reading this thread and was playing
around with two other theories about the mausoleum. I don't think
they're right, but I'll put them out here for what they're worth:

First, it's a family mausoleum, but I can't get that one to fit (too
many of Severian's relatives still alive during the BotNS to account for
2 open coffins).

The other theory is that - since mausolea were typically tombs for
deceased leaders of importance, then the mausoleum is built for the
bodies of those brave autarchs who chose to face the test on Yesod. Two
coffins are open and unoccupied (Severian's and the current Autarch)
because those two are still alive. Ymar was the last autarch before the
current one to be tested, so his body is in one of the closed coffins,
leaving two other Autarchs prior to Ymar who were tested and failed in
the other 2 closed coffins.

Paul