(urth) The Land Across Discussion (Spoilers!)

Stephen Hoy stephenhoy at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 17 14:48:37 PST 2013

Re-reading The Land Across. Possibly this is a spoiler.
I noticed something on the second page that I probably should have picked up on a first read. The narrator writes about spending time in Vienna at the Hotel Sacher. What I missed first time around was an allusion to the 1949 film noir directed by Carol Reed prominently featuring this hotel and its post-war surroundings. A little reflection brought forth vivid memories of Joseph Cotten and Orson Wells in The Third Man.