(urth) The Land Across Discussion (Spoilers!)

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 16:00:22 PST 2013

A few thoughts: (spoilers)

-
1. A quick Google search shows me that "Grafton" is "derived from the Old
English graf meaning 'gorve' and 'tun' meaning enclosure." However, with
all the Germanic stuff in this book, as well as the apparent presence of
vampires and Vlad the Impaler, I was reminded that "Graf" is also German
for "Count." Perhaps there are fangs in the Grafton family tree, perhaps I
am reading too much into it.

2. When the the Legion kidnaps Grafton, they first ask themselves in, but
Grafton refuses, steps outside, and is kidnapped. There's no indication
that they ever enter The Willows. Could this have something to do with the
rule that vampires may only enter places into which they've been invited?

3. On a related note, we see the man in black at a castle (his?), in the
prison cell (apparently invited by Russ), and in The Willows (without
invitation). Perhaps The Willows belongs to him? On the other hand, Grafton
has a vision of Eion Desmartes' death and describes the miser; he doesn't
recognize him as being the man in black.

4. The Willows: Are we supposed to be thinking of the Algernon Blackwood
story? Or the association between "weeping" and "willows?"

5. (This last one is the most out-there)
When excerpts from the book first appeared, there was some discussion here
about the oddness of the narrator's voice. His vocabulary certainly seems
more limited than a lot of Wolfe's narrators, and, especially at first, his
voice sounds a little off. I half-wonder if this is a clue, as per
Christopher Simon's suggestion that the narrator has forgotten he's
involved in a plan. There's mention of the Legion possessing translation
machines, but it's never really followed up on. Is it possible that,
contrary to what he tells us, Grafton isn't writing in English, in
Massachusetts, for an editor in New York? But, if that were the case, what
purpose is being served by the ruse?

Thoughts?

-Matt