(urth) The future of cloning, continued

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Dec 23 11:50:51 PST 2013

I'm sure some of you are already up on cloning news, but some on this list may not be. From a nonscientific publication:

"While cloning was once the next big thing, it has lost its luster
because of a problem called “epigenetic dysregulation” which causes up
to 90 percent of cloned offspring to die. In fact, so many animals die
to make one surviving clone that the European Group on Ethics in Science and New Technologies said “the current level of suffering and health
problems of surrogate dams and animal clones” renders it not “ethically
justified.” Cloned offspring “tend to be large for their breeds, and
often have abnormal or poorly developed lungs, hearts, or other affected internal organs (liver and kidney), which makes it difficult for them
to breathe or maintain normal circulation and metabolism,” says an FDA
report.  The problems are so common in cloned cattle and sheep, they are called Large Offspring Syndrome."

This would make Number Five more like Number 50, ha ha. But the reference to Large Offspring Syndrome caught my eye as well. Is Doctor Talos in the house?