(urth) peace and the five year swing

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 21 09:09:56 PST 2013

Two or three more quick things about the aged Blaine/Gold sections and bird metaphors:
Blaine remembers the egg as an Ostrich egg, Weer as porcelain.
Keeping in mind my bird post, Blaine is described with "cold eyes, that made me think of a mad king, of Lear lording it over a flock of rooks on a windswept heath" (In some myths the Simurgh is conflated with the Rukh)

Lear of course casts out his faithful daughter for the obsequious ones - and this is interesting in light of the later description of Sally Gold and the story from the Children of Lir of Dierdre and her two siblings turned to geese.

Sally Gold is described as "she cocked her had to one side to look at me, as though I were a doubtful worm.  ... the little birdlike woman, and the heat and perhaps the rubber plant in the corner and the pattern of interlocking green tendrils in the wallpaper, gave me the feeling of being in a elaborate aviary" - more bird imagery here ... and it resonates a bit with the early choice of Mrs. Green to be known as Princess Little Bird rather than something more appropriate like Corngrower.  Green, Emerald, birds ...

Finally, the story of Dierdre at the end and her flock of geese is one of paternal love for his children, wanting them to last.  Is this related to the story of Doris, shipped off to a "metamorphic" carnival to be preserved somehow?  Is the affection which is lacking that feeling of having failed the daughter?  In addition,  in the final section, a female employee is asked if she has children:
"'When I used to think about having children that was one thing I used to think of - when they were grown I could bring them something when they were sick and maybe straighten up there houses' 'Do you think it is a good place to bring up children? ... ' it's not good, no.'"

All this thought of children and preserving them really does make me think that the dog boy's letter must be thematically linked to that as well, with all it's carnival Cinderella style.

An egg is supposed to hatch into something, by the way, and it is Lorn and Weer who look for it, though this one seems fated to never hatch.