(urth) Five Severians -- Severian-as-Clone

Michael Thayer michael.o.thayer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 07:16:12 PST 2013

>Lee (severiansola at hotmail.com): Personally, I find the five coffins in the
mausoleum to be impossible to plausibly understand at just a narrative
level. I find it to be most essentially autobiographical in the manner of a
puzzle in its referent, The Fifth Head of Cerberus. . . . I first posted
these ideas on this board a number of years ago, so perhaps there is a
chance this is what you were looking for Michael?

Thanks, Lee - this is certainly a component of what I'm looking for.  I
agree that in order to understand tBotNS or tFHoC, we need to take account
of Wolfe's propensity for autobiography, self-reference, etc., and I think
your thoughts (which I certainly do recognize) shed a lot of light into the
shadowy mausoleum.  But the five coffins -- *two empty, three closed* --
should work not only on the level of authorial symbol, but the level of
narrative as well, shouldn't they?  I think this meticulous author and his
meticulously plotted book deserve the benefit of that doubt.  Severian
tells us:  "Before you assume that I have cheated you, read again . . ."
(Citadel, 405).

*New theory (? - or maybe you've heard it before - is there anything new
under the New Sun?).  **Five coffins, two empty, three closed.*  In
Citadel, Severian our narrator tells us of a second "first Severian."  What
if Severian is, like the narrator of tFHoC, a clone?  One of five clones,
each initially housed in the mausoleum, which is dislocated in time like
the house of Master Ash or one of the botanical gardens?  At the time our
narrator Severian is leaving Urth for his trial, two of the clones have
left/been released from the mausoleum (narrator-Sev and the "first
Severian" who came before).  If the mausoleum is dislocated in time, then
it is possible that each one of the clones would exit into a different
strand in the "tapestry" of time.  Perhaps whoever constructed the
mausoleum and put the five Severians there was/is planning to release them
one by one until one of the clones successfully brings the New Sun?

*Clones in the text.  *I remember reading in a Wolfe interview that the
prostitutes in the House Azure, the "khaibits," are in fact clones of the
Chatelaines.  I think we need to entertain the idea that Father Inire --
"alive so long beyond the span of his short-lived kind" (Citadel, 405) --
who seems (to me) to be many places at once, is not a single person but a
multitude of clones (reminded of Borsky's Palaemon as Inire theory,
Wright's Ceryx as Inire theory (AD 84), and all the "bent" "crooked" or
"small" men who show up cowled or masked in the text -- servitor who
confers with the Autarch and escorts Sev to the Green Room (Claw 338), the
masked medicine man escorting Sev in the jungle toward the end of Citadel).
 tFHoC certainly alerts us to the clone as a Wolfe convention and plot
device -- could it be a key as well?

Could a Severian-as-clone theory explain the baffling scene involving the
grotesque homunculus who addresses Severian as "brother" (Citadel, 388)?

If this theory has any legs at all -- a dubious prospect! -- we would need
to account for a sixth Severian, the natural born man, son of Ouen and
Catherine, grandson of Dorcas, etc., who was cloned five times.

Thoughts?