(urth) Short Story 49: Westwind

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 19 05:24:59 PDT 2013

I do mention that a reader could easily be critical of a ruler who sits in luxury leaving his people in a slum and offering to help them only indirectly (ie not at all) but I think that is reader hostility to the concept of a deity that would not interfere.  From a traditional  perspective this distance is to allow freedom - without the possibility of random events or negative things, what kind of free will or choice do people have? I don't think Wolfe has a problem with that remoteness as the prayer symbolized here is the cure for that remoteness, and perhaps from a devout person's perspective this is what God has offered.

I wouldn't say the ruler is better to his people than God is ... Just more tangibly present.  The ruler could very easily be a simulation given the technology from all that he actually walks among the people.

I think it's more a symbolic representation of a personal relationship with God than escapist fantasy, but that is a semantic kind of distinction.

Sent from my iPhone