(urth) Wolfe's use of science/hard sf

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Sun Aug 18 21:42:15 PDT 2013

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013, Marc Aramini wrote:

> And yet for all that ... I've found the vast majority of speculation on
> Wolfe is random and completely non-rigorous. Why is the interpretive
> task so unwieldy in the case of Wolfe?

Because he is a tricksy Modernist. Joyce had to put the chapter headings
back in _Ulysses_, otherwise it was too hard, he was told.  Similarly - in
a response to Clute? I can't remember where it was published - Wolfe
unpacked a ridiculous number of references in one scene from _The Citadel
of the Autarch_.  Of course, he may have been making them up on the spot,
which would be even worse ;)

Cheers, David Duffy.